Imogen Freeland trained in BA Photography at Falmouth University in 2010 and received a Masters in Photography with Distinction from London College of Communication in 2015. She lives and works in London.
Her work has been reviewed and featured by international critique including Source Photographic Review, Photoworks, Aesthetica Magazine, where she was listed as one of their 'Next Generation Future Greats', Refinery29, The Photographers Gallery online amongst others. Her work has been exhibited at the Pingyao International Photography Festival and OffPrint at the Tate Modern. She was shortlisted for the Troika Mentoring Award and won the John E Wright Award at Format Festival, where she was later awarded the FORMAT / Flaneur Project Bursary. She was recently nominated for the Magnum Photos Graduate Award.
Her work investigates the complex relationship between subject and photographer and is particularly interested in the validity of photography as a means of representing reality.
Her renowned project Your Companion in Silence, attempts to explore the spaces between reality and representation and to restore some meaning to the notion of 'connections'. In a digital era in which both the practice of art and the usage of social media offer us the means to craft personae and build idealised selves. Beginning and ending with a relationship in pieces, Your Companion in Silence, chronicles a network of acquaintances, friends and lovers as they pass through the prism of the photographer's lens. Aware of the conflict between her responsibility as an artist to convey truth as well as the trust placed in her by each subject, and the unavoidable distortions created by the process of artistic interpretation, Freeland allows her own self-consciousness and uncertainty to inform both the words and images of the finished work. The result is, on the one hand, a study on the concept of authorship, and on the other, a simple story of someone trying – and sometimes failing – to reconnect with the people who ought to matter.
- A Photo Series About Our Destructive Social Media Habits - Refinery29 - Interview by Sarah Rafael - 2016
- Imogen Freeland - Mull it Over - Interview by Jonathon Cherry -2016
- An Interview with Imogen Freeland Winner of the John E Wright Award - Shutterhub - 2015
- Next Generation Future great - Aesthetic Magazine - 2015
- Photo diary of International Albinism Awareness Day - Zettler - by Milly Buroughs - 2017
- My Right Foot - Over the Hill - By Tim Andrews - 2016
- Showcase Imogen Freeland - Photoworks - 2015
- Imogen Freeland - Source Photographic Review - By Kevin Brethnach - 2015
- Imogen Freeland - Aesthetica Magazine - 2015
- The Story Behind the Photograph - The Photographers Gallery - 2015
- Shortlisted for the Magnum Graduate Photography Awards - 2017
- Awarded - FORMAT Flaneur Bursary - FORMAT - 2016
- Winner - John E Wright Award - FORMAT -2015
- Shortlisted - Troika Mentoring Award - 2014
- Honourable Mentions - International Photography Awards - 2012
- Shortlisted for the Discovery of the Year at The International Photography Awards 2010
- Aesthetica Magazine
- Crack Magazine
- Foster and Thatcher
- Oyster Magazine
- Standing Voice